Dengue : Stay Protected
Jan 7, 2015, 6:47:00 AM
Dengue with fever and myalgias can last about one to two weeks. Dengue hemorrhagic fever (DHF), which is a fatal form of the disease, affects children under the age of 10 and causes hemorrhage (bleeding), abdominal pain and circulatory collapse.
Dengue fever, which is a viral infection spread through mosquito bites, tends to be severe in people with weak immune systems. If a person is infected by dengue virus, he/ she becomes immune to that viral serotype. However, as dengue can be caused by any one of the five serotypes of virus, a person can get affected by dengue multiple times
Symptoms & Signs:
- Fever, rash, and headache (the dengue triad)
- Severe joint and muscle pain
- Swollen lymph nodes
Treatment for Dengue Fever
- Good rest
- Drink plenty of fluids
- Seek medical help
If the condition of the patient worsens, immediate medical attention is crucial as it might be indicative of other complications due to the disease.
Preventing Dengue Fever
The best way to prevent the disease is to prevent mosquitoes bites
- Apply mosquito repellents, indoors.
- Make sure the window and door screens are hole-free and use mosquito nets in case they are not and there is no air conditioning.
- Wear long-sleeved shirts and pants tucked into socks, when outdoors
- Prevent stagnating of water and possible breeding of mosquitoes
- Keep the surroundings clean
- In case someone at home is infected with dengue fever, be on high alert and protect other family members from being bit by mosquitoes