With the commencement of the holy month of Ramadan, a season of prayers and fasting has once again begun. The day long fasting may upset the stomach and can result in bloating and gastritis. The first food that is consumed after breaking the fast is important in clearing these issues.
Jeeraka kanji, porridge with cumin, is an ideal dish to have on an empty stomach during these days. Cumin is known for its effectiveness in treating digestive problems. It is also an excellent carminative, an effective remedy for gas trouble.
Course: main course
Preparation time: 25minutes
• Broken Matta Rice - 1 cup
• Salt to taste
• Turmeric powder - 1 tsp
• Water - 3 cups + as needed
• Fenugreek Seeds - 1 tsp
• Salt to taste
• Coconut - 1/2 cup • Shallots / Sambar Onion – 5
• Cumin Seeds / Jeera - 2 tsp FOR SEASONING:
• Coconut Oil - 1 tbsp.
• Shallots / Sambar Onion - 10 sliced thinly
• Curry leaves a handful
1. Wash and cook the rice with enough water. Let it cook well until soft.
2. Add fenugreek, salt, turmeric and water. Pressure cook for 3 whistles. Once pressure is released. Open the lid and add more water and mix well.
3. Meanwhile, grind all the ingredients given above (for grinding) along with some water to a fine paste.
4. A Once the rice is done and becomes slightly thick, add the finely grinded coconut mixture and mix well. There should not be more water in cooked rice while adding this paste.
5. Add salt. Also, if you want to have a gruel (kanji) consistency, add more water.
6. Allow it to boil and switch off the flame when done.
7. Now heat coconut oil in a pan and roast shallots and curry leaves until golden. Pour this tempering over the prepared porridge (kanji).
8. Serve hot.
• Medicinal properties: Cumin contains compounds called flavonoids that work as antioxidants in the body. Antioxidants can help neutralize unstable particles called free radicals that can cause cell damage. By neutralizing these particles, antioxidants can help prevent diseases like cancer, heart disease, and high blood pressure.
• Weight loss: Kanji is a low-calorie dish that keeps the feeling of satiety for a longer period of time unlike regular rice. This is because, the water to rice ratio is greater than the average rice cooking procedure.
• Aids Digestive Processes: Cumin may increase the activity of digestive enzymes, potentially speeding up digestion. Cumin also increases the release of bile from the liver. Bile helps to digest fats and certain nutrients in the gut
• Boosts Energy and Mood: Rice contains carbohydrates, some of which proliferates down to the water that it is boiled or soaked in. This helps replenish the body's energy levels and make the mood better.
Sago pearls – 100gm
Coconut milk (thin) – 2 cups
Coconut milk (thick) – 1 cup
Cardamom powder - ½ tsp
Ripe plantain (chopped) – 2 Nos
Sugar – 1/3 cup
Water – 2cups
Salt – a pinch
Ghee – 1 tsp
Shallots (thinly sliced) – 3-4 nos
Raisins – 1tbsp
Cashews (chopped) – 2 tbsp
Method of preparation
- Soak the sago pearls in water for an hour or till totally plump. Wash once and drain.
- Mix into the thin coconut milk and bring the mixtures to cook. Cook on lowest flame with lid on, stirring occasionally to avoid sticking on the bottom of the pan
- Halfway, add plantains, cardamom, sugar and salt and continue to cook till the sago looks all fluffed up and transparent. Add in some water only if the mixture looks too dry.
- Once the sago looks completely cooked, add in the thick coconut milk and give a good mix. Switch off the stove.
- Heat ghee in a small saucepan. Fry the shallots till golden brown. Quickly fry the cashews and raisins and pour the mixture into the prepared Paal Vazhakka. Close the lid and keep covered for five minutes
- Mix well and serve hot.
Paal Vazhakka is a traditional sweet dish of Malabar that is cooked at home during festivals. It is commonly prepared during Ramadan. Coconut milk is one of the versatile ingredients in this dish, which helps in lowering blood pressure and cholesterol. It is rich in electrolytes and can prevent fatigue, experienced during fasting. This dish, which contains all of the goodness of sago pearls, can provide an immediate energy boost while also aiding digestion Plantains are rich sources of complex carbohydrates, vitamins, and minerals, and are easily digestible. It is also a rich source of calcium. In overall this dish is packed with healthy benefits and would make an ideal meal during suhoor.
Macaroni fruit salad
Boiled Macaroni - ½ cup
Fruits - ¼ cup Fresh cream - 3 tbsp
Condensed milk - 4 tbsp
Mayonnaise - 3 tbsp
Mix all the last 3 ingredients and add fruits and then add boiled macaroni into it. And mix well.
• Its like a sweet Mac salad recipe.
• It is high in fiber, vitamins, and anti-oxidants and has a moderate energy density level.
• It will improve the health of the bones, control blood pressure and also prevent anemia.
• It can reduce the risk of diseases like diabetes, hypertension and heart diseases.
• It helps to lower blood pressure and it also reduces the risk of heart diseases
This is a special dish from Malabar region in Kerala made using egg. Here it is explained about a traditional way of cooking mutta surka using just 3 ingredients. To change consistency and flavouring we can add milk and cashew in it. But as we are going with a traditional method of cooking mutta surka.
- EGG- 7nos.( according to size of the egg)
- SUGAR- 2 tablespoon
- CARDAMOM- ¼ teaspoon
- Take 7 raw eggs into a mixer jar. Add 2 tablespoon of sugar into it and ¼ teaspoon of cardamom.
- Mix it well in the mixer. Take a thin crust steel plate which is to be rubbed all through with ghee.
- Pour the mixture into the plate and keep it for steaming in a food steamer.
- After perfect cooking take out the plate from food steamer and keep it aside for cooling down to room temperature.( amount of cooking can be understood by pricking into the batter)
- After cooling down, cut it into pieces and can be served.
The main ingredient of the food is egg.
- This dish is high of good quality protein, with all amino acids in the right ratio.
- Eggs are nutrient rich, eggs helps to increase HDL. Egg is low in LDL, which can put health at risk.
- Eggs are good source of omega-3 fatty acid.
- Eggs are among the best dietary source of choline, which is essential for normal cell functioning and is particularly important during pregnancy to support healthy brain development of the foetus.
- Eggs contain antioxidants that are beneficial for the eyes.
- Egg tend to be filling and make to eat fewer calories which will help to reduce weight.
Gram masala : 2 pinch
Chopped onions : 20g
Mint and coriander leaves : 5g
Green chilies : 5g
Ginger garlic paste : 5g
Turmeric powder and salt : 2 pinch
Minced chicken or boneless chicken: 50g
Soaked rice : 60g
Moongdal : 10g
Grated coconut : 10g
Method of preparation:
- Heat the oil in a pressure cooker.
- Add the whole garam masala, then add chopped onions and fry till transparent.
- After that some mint leaves, chopped coriander and green chilies are added.
- Fry this for a minute and then add ginger garlic paste, followed by turmeric and chill powder and salt.
- Add the chicken and a chicken stock cube fry for a few minutes, and then add the rice, roasted moong dal, coconut, sufficient amount of water.
- Close the lid and allow it to pressure cook until done, after that open the cooker and add more water to adjust it to the required consistency.
- Bring it to boil once and serve hot.
- strong digestion
- Enhance the circulation
- Detoxifies by helping the body to sweat.
- Improve sleep quality
- Increases the effectiveness of herbal medicine.
- Help for weight loss.