Skin care in adolescent girls and young ladies
Dr. Anuradha Kakkanatt Babu Consultant Dermatology -Aster Medcity, Kerala, India
Adolescence is a transitional stage of physical and psychological development that generally occurs during the period from puberty to adulthood. During this phase, girls can develop common skin problems such as pimples (acne), dandruff and hair loss.
There are a number of things that can be done at home to help with the above issues. Some of them are as below:
- Wash your face frequently and gently pat dry.
- Adopt a healthy diet rich in Vitamin A like carrots, papaya and green leafy vegetables.
- If you have an oily scalp use a mild shampoo, not more than 3 times a week. Use conditioner after every wash to ensure that the hair is moisturized well.
In case your acne gets worse, consult a dermatologist immediately. Treatment helps in reducing new acne break-outs and helps in preventing scars and pigmentation.
You also need to keep in mind a number of things you should absolutely avoid doing:
- Self-medication, fairness creams and oily cosmetics
- Use of products that irritate your skin like scrubs & oils, on face
- Squeezing of pimples, this increases the risk of scar formation
- Junk food
In addition to the above, since the body goes through many changes, personal hygiene is of utmost priority:
- Wash your intimate areas with mild soap and do not use irritants for cleaning. Vaginal skin is very delicate and needs to be treated gently.
- Do not wear tight undergarments as it can cause fungal infections.
- Do not use home remedies or steroid containing creams as they can damage your skin or even cause stretch marks.
Infections in intimate areas can cause symptoms such as changes in the normal vaginal discharge or itching in the genital area. In case such symptoms arise, consult a dermatologist immediately.