Superfoods That Power Your Brain
Your brain is undoubtedly the most powerful supercomputer in this world, as it processes, stores and stacks unbelievable amounts of information into short and long-term memories. However, if the brain has to function exceptionally, you need to power it with the right food and right nutrients, at the right time.
According to Fernando Gómez-Pinilla, a UCLA professor of neurosurgery and physiological science who has spent years studying the effects of food, exercise and sleep on the brain. “Diet, exercise and sleep have the potential to alter our brain health and mental function. This raises the exciting possibility that changes in diet are a viable strategy for enhancing cognitive abilities, protecting the brain from damage and counteracting the effects of aging.” According to experts, we need to have a low-fat, balanced diet that’s rich in Omega-3, Vitamins B6, B12, and folate. These nutrients help protect the brain and nervous system and fight against mental disorders like depression, mood disorders, schizophrenia, and dementia,
• Eat plenty of fresh fruits, vegetables, and whole grains.
• Drink plenty of water and other fluids to prevent dehydration, which in turn can cause confusion and memory problems.
• Food rich in Omega -3, like fish and fish oil.
• Berries, as they are a rich source of anti-oxidants.
• Coffee, in moderate quantities.
• Nuts like almond and peanuts.
• Dark chocolates as they contain antioxidants.
• Whole grain bread.
• Drink plenty of water to prevent dehydration.