Pain & Palliative Medicine
Led by a team of highly trained doctors, the department of Pain & Palliative Medicine at Aster Medcity offers specialized interventional and non-interventional treatment for management of pain due to various illnesses and injuries in patients of all ages. Multidisciplinary in approach,they offer customised, guideline-based treatment to patients, with the support of trained nurses and therapists.Read More
Led by a team of highly trained doctors, the department of Pain & Palliative Medicine at Aster Medcity offers specialized interventional and non-interventional treatment for management of pain due to various illnesses and injuries in patients of all ages. Multidisciplinary in approach,they offer customised, guideline-based treatment to patients, with the support of trained nurses and therapists.
The course of the pain management treatment is determined after a detailed assessment of the patient’s medical problem, current health condition, symptoms, intensity of pain and lifestyle/ psychosocial background. Pain management treatment plans often include physiotherapy and rehabilitation sessions to ensure sustained relief.
Specialised Pain Management Services
- Holistic management of neurological, orthopaedic and rheumatologic (arthritis) pain.
- Cancer-related pain management and palliative care patients (primarily medical management with psychosocial support and minimal interventions)
- Lower backache, neck pain, myofascial pain syndromes, joint pains
- Vascular pains: vasculitis or ischemic limbs (PVOD)
- Neuropathic Pains: Trigeminal neuralgia, post herpetic neuralgia, phantom limb pain
- Complex regional pain syndrome or Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD)
- Multi Modal Analgesia: Medical and non-medical management with interventions as required, combined with physiotherapy and rehabilitation
- Invasive Procedures: trigeminal /occipital nerve block.
- Nerve blocks/ plexus blocks/ local infiltrations
- Shoulder and knee pain management
- Stellate ganglion, coeliac plexus or thoracic splanchnic nerve
- Hypogastric plexus block
- Spinal or epidural analgesia: trans foraminal epidural steroid injection, cervical, thoracic, lumbar and caudal epidural injections
- Sacro iliac joint intra articular injection, facet joint injection
- Radio frequency ablation
The department also has a full-fledged palliative care wing that provides specialized, multidisciplinary medical care to patients suffering from serious illnesses including cancer and end stage renal/ liver diseases, with strong focus on enhancing the quality of life. A treatment mode that integrates the psychological and spiritual aspects of patient care, these therapies aim at providing maximum relief from the symptoms, pain and stress caused by the illness, with utmost consideration and compassion.
Palliative care are provided in conjunction with other therapies that are intended to prolong life like chemotherapy and radiation, right from the time of diagnosis. The treatment plan for each patient is created taking into consideration all aspects including his or her medical condition, symptoms, existing/ possible complications and psychosocial background. Apart from managing pain, the psychological/ spiritual aspects of the treatment affirm fact that life and death are natural processes. The families too are provided psychological support including counselling so that cope up with grief and loss, which is inevitable.
Paediatric Palliative Care
A child being diagnosed with a life-limiting illness is the most devastating thing that can happen to a family. Palliative treatment in children and young adults involve a comprehensive, compassionate approach to care, with strong focus on enhancing the quality of life. The course of the therapy is planned after taking into consideration the physical, emotional, social and spiritual aspects, as a child’s needs are very different compared to that of an adult’s. The family’s emotional needs are taken care of too, with expert counselling and support.
Integrated Palliative Care
- Palliative care for adults and children with life-limiting diseases - cancerous and non-cancerous (end stage organ diseases)
- Pain and symptom management
- Counselling services for patients and families
- Integrating physical, psychological, socio economic, spiritual aspects of care
- Outpatient, Day Care, Inpatient and home care Services