Aster Centre for Spine Care & Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery
One of the best spine surgery hospital in Kochi, the Centre for Spine Care at Aster Medcity offers highly-advanced and personalised surgical and non-surgical treatment including minimally invasive spine surgery & awake spine surgery for management of neck and back problems, complex, disorders of the spine, disc degeneration and herniation, spinal deformities like scoliosis, spine and spinal cord injuries, spinal tumours and cranio-vertebral anomalies.
The exceptional team of doctors comprising Neurosurgeons and Orthopaedic Surgeons with specialised training in Spine Surgery, Neuro Trauma experts, Interventional Neuroradiologists, Radiation Oncologists, Pain Management & Critical Care experts, Neuro Anaesthetists and Spine Pathologists provide high-quality, evidence-based treatment to patients, with the help of an award-winning team of Nurses, Rehabilitation Therapists and Technicians. Multidisciplinary in approach, they create personalised, holistic treatment plans for patients to ensure the best possible medical outcomes.
Backed by state-of-the-art diagnostic and intra-operative technology including Stealth Station Neuro-Navigation, 3D- C Arm, Leica Microscopes and Allen Spine System Table, Aster Centre for Spine Care offers high-precision, safe minimally invasive spine surgery (key-hole spine surgery) that enables patients to return to normal life within a matter of hours to days.
Aster Spine Care Centre: Spine Surgery Procedures
Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery (MISS):
Minimally invasive spine surgery (MISS) is a highly advanced mode of surgery wherein the surgery is performed using the key-hole method. The size of the incisions will be only approximately18mm in size. Minimally invasive spine surgery can be used to treat several complex spinal conditions. The advantages of minimally invasive spine surgery are minimal incisions, lesser blood loss, minimal muscle damage, lesser pain, shorter hospital stay and faster recovery.
The Centre for Spine Care at Aster Medcity offers safe, high-precision minimally invasive spine surgery with the help of intra-operative technology including neuro-navigation and 3D C arm.a) What is minimally invasive spine surgery (MISS) or keyhole spine surgery?
Minimally invasive spine surgery is a highly advanced spine surgery technique using very small incisions, using cutting-edge intra-operative technology.b) What are the advantages of minimally invasive spine surgery over open surgery?
- Very small surgical incisions and scars (approximately 18mm)
- Minimal muscle damage
- Minimal blood loss
- Lesser pain, which reduces the need for pain killers
- Fewer post-surgical complications
- Minimal hospital stay
- Quicker recovery
- Faster return to normal life
- Lower incidence of surgery related back pain
The advantages of minimally invasive spine surgery enable us to safely perform spine surgery in elderly patients with multiple medical problems and also obese /overweight patients, with the best possible medical outcomes.
Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery: Procedures
- Spinal stenosis decompression
- Endoscopic spine surgery
- Lumbar fusions:
- Transforaminal Lumbar Interbody Fusion (TLIF)
- Posterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion (PLIF)
- Oblique Lumbar Interbody Fusion (OLIF)
- Anterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion (ALIF)
- Tubular discectomy
- Posterior cervical microforaminotomy
- Percutaneous pedicle screw fixation for fractures
- Minimal access spine tumour removal
- Vertebral body excision (corpectomy) and reconstruction
- Percutaneous ilio-sacral screws for sacral ring fractures C1-2 fusion
The narrowing of the spaces within the spine is known as spinal stenosis. The minimally invasive spine surgery procedure helps decompress the nerves in the narrow spaces between the vertebral bones and spinal joints.2. What is Endoscopic Spine Surgery?
Endoscopic Spine Surgery is a minimally invasive spine surgery procedure that helps to relieve pain caused by herniated discs pressing on nerve roots.3. What is the purpose of Lumbar fusion?
Lumbar fusion is done to correct issues with the vertebrae such as painful motion and stability of the spine.4. What is Awake spine surgery?
These are surgeries done under local or regional anaesthesia without using general anaesthesia. Certain Minimally invasive spine surgery can be done in this manner.5. What are the advantages of awake spine surgery
Many patients with multiple risk factors (cardiac/liver/kidney disorders) or those who are elderly may not be good candidates for general anesthesia. Awake spine surgery can be performed in such patients. Another advantage would be shorter recovery times and same day discharge from hospital
Scoliosis & Spinal Deformity Surgeries
Aster Centre for Spine Care offers advanced spine surgery for correction of spinal scoliosis – a condition in which the spine is curved abnormally.a) What is scoliosis?
- Scoliosis is a condition wherein a person’s spine or back is curved like an “S” or “C”
- Scoliosis can be a by birth, acquired or age-related condition
- Early detection and correction (in the adolescent age itself) is the key to effective treatment of scoliosis
- Severe or visible scoliosis, if left untreated, can lead to complications including disfigurement, pain, breathing difficulties or nerve damage
Scoliosis spine surgery is a specialised surgery for correction of spine deformityc) Who can undergo scoliosis / spinal deformity surgery?
- Children, adolescents with scoliosis
- Patients with kyphosis (hunchback / forward curving of the spine)
- Adults and elderly patients with spinal deformities
- How long does it take to recover from scoliosis surgery?
- If the recovery is as expected, the patient can be discharged within a week
- Children can get back to school about a month after the surgery
Yes, these surgeries are safe. The centre for spine care at Aster Medcity has the latest medical technology for ensuring maximum patient safety and are performed with the help of intra-operative nerve monitoring for unmatched accuracy.
Spine Surgery ProceduresCranio Vertebral Junction & Cervical Spine Surgery
- Re-alignment of atlanto-axial dislocation
- Occipito-cervical fusion
- C1-2 lateral mass / pedicle screw fusion
- Modified Gallie’s fusion
- Foramen magnum decompression in Chiari
- Posterior cervical laminectomy
- Fusion/cervical lateral mass fixation
- Anterior Cervical Discectomy & Fusion (ACDF)
- Correction of cervico-thoracic kyphotic deformity
- Cervical disc replacement
- Cervical laminoplasty
- Anterior cervical corpectomy & reconstruction
- Anterior surgery: trans-thoracic /retroperitoneal
- Dorsal Vertebral Column Resection (DVCR)
- Dorsal laminectomy
- Pedicle screw fixation
- En-bloc resection for vertebral tumours
- Adult deformity surgery
- Adult lumbar degenerative scoliosis surgery
- Microlumbar discectomy
- Tubular decompression for spinal stenosis
- Posterior instrumented spinal fusion
- Lumbar inter-body fusions TLIF/PLIF/ALIF/OLIF
- Lumbar cortical screw fixation
- Scoliosis correction
- Kyphosis correction
- Correction of sagittal and coronal plane imbalance
- Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy (PSO)
- Smith Peterson Osteotomy (SPO)
- Vertebral Column Resection (VCR)
Paediatric Spine Surgery
Aster Centre for Spine Care offers highly-advanced and safe paediatric spine surgery for management of diseases, disorders and deformities of the spine in children.Paediatric spine conditions treated:
- Infantile Scoliosis
- Early onset Scoliosis
- Adolescent Idiopathic Scoliosis
- Stress fractures of the lower back
- Spinal dysraphism
- Tethered cord
- Split cord malformation
- Chiari malformation
- Spinal tumours
- Spinal trauma and fractures
- Cranio-Vertebral junction anomalies
- Bracing and casting for scoliosis
- Halo vest application
- Scoliosis and Deformity correction
- Spinal fusion
- Growing rods for early onset scoliosis
- VEPTR (Vertical Expandable Prosthetic Titanium Rib)
- MAGEC (Magnetic Expansion Control)
- Foramen magnum decompression
- Cranio-Vertebral junction realignment
- Medical/ non-surgical (including interventional modes) management of back and neck pain